Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 30, 2018

El último día de 2018 - Last day of 2018

En realidad, en Filipinas ya faltan pocas horas para que llegue el 1ro de enero de 2019.
Actually, in my country in just a few hours it will be 1 January 2019.

He estado viendo videos sobre el español en Filipinas, hechos por españoles.

I've been watching videos by Spanish videographers, on the Spanish language in the Philippines.

Hay entrevistas con Filipinos que todavía hablan castellano, y cuentan sus memorias.
There are interviews with Filipinos who still speak Spanish, telling their memories.

A partir del 7:57 se presenta a Ana, mestiza filipino-catalana que vive en Bacolod y tiene una plantación de azúcar, parece ser una ser humana amorosísima.
Starting at 7:57 they interview Ana, of a Catalonian father and Filipina mother, who lives in Bacolod and runs a sugar plantation. She seems to be a wonderful human being.





Y justo ahora vi un video en España, en Madrid, acerca de la comunidad filipina.  Muy bonito.
And just now I saw a video in Spain, in Madrid, on the Filipino community, very nice.


No puedo evitar pensar en estos temas.
I cannot help but think of these things.

Veo que los filipinos que viven en España tienen mayor consciencia de su cultura y se sienten a gusto en el entorno. Los veo más relajados y sobre todo da gusto escuchar a la juventud expresarse con viveza, con personalidad definida.
I see that the Filipinos who live in Spain have more awareness of their culture and they feel at ease in their environment. I have the impression that they are more relaxed, above all I like hearing the young people express themselves with vivaciousness, with a defined personality.

I love Chile but it's a difficult society.

Yo amo Chile pero esta sociedad es difícil.

In general, Latin America is a cruel continent.
En términos generales, América Latina es un continente cruel.

Filipinas es un lugar adormecido, te pone letárgico, embobado, con mucha facilidad.  Te penetra una lasitud, no es muy propicio para pensar, moverse.  Yo vivía en una burbuja. No me daba cuenta de nada.

Filipinas is a sleepy place, it makes you lethargic, you get stupid very easily.  You are overcome by lassitude, it isn't very stimulating for thought, or for moving around, being active.  I lived inside a bubble there. I had no idea of anything at all.

Me vine a Chile y pronto empecé a sentir la santa indignación.  Me daba rabia ver el maltrato, la displicencia, la arrogancia mal disimulada de los poderosos (por ej., los carabineros), me desesperaba como la gente no se manifestaba, no decía lo que pensaba ni lo que les pasaba.  El malestar estaba en el aire pero todos como que eran artistas en la autoevasión.  
I arrived in Chile and very soon I started to feel indignant, shocked. I felt angry at how badly people treated other people, how contemptuous they could be, how the powerful acted with thinly disguised arrogance (for ex., the military police), it drove me mad, watching how people wouldn't reveal or express themselves, they didn't say what they thought or what they were going through. There was a malaise in the air, thick enough to cut with a knife, but they were all artists at playing dumb.  Really good at pretending.

Muchas reglas, prohibiciones tácitas, mucha inhibición.
Lots of rules here, tacit prohibitions, inhibitions.

I learned hard lessons.  I was punished for saying what I thought, for not accepting ill treatment, for refusing to kow-tow.  The price is solitude, and I pay it gladly.
Aprendí duras lecciones. Fui castigada por decir lo que pensaba, por no aceptar el maltrato, por rehusar rebajarme. El precio es la soledad, y lo pago gustosa.

But ---there are good people here too.  Or else it would be intolerable.

Sin embargo, hay gente buena acá también. De otro modo no sería soportable.


Tal vez digo lo anterior de Filipinas porque los años que viví allí eran los de mi niñez y juventud, sin preocupaciones.

Maybe it's just because I was a kid in the Philippines, without any worries.


En cambio, en Chile he pasado tiempos difíciles, muy contrastados con los años vividos en EEUU donde llevé una vida muy sencilla, libre de problemas económicos, rodeada de gente que pensaba como yo, que tenían conductas que yo sabía interpretar y que me hacían sentido.

 In Chile on the other hand, I've known difficult times, in stark contrast with the easy life I led in the States, where I had no financial worries, I was surrounded by people who thought like me, who acted in ways that I understood and made sense to me.

However, Chile has given me the most incredible things.  Through the culture shock, the enforced aloneness, and the life changes that forced me to discover inner resources I never suspected were there, I found out what I really was made of, what truly makes me happy, and what was just smoke and mirrors.

Sin embargo, Chile me ha dado las cosas más increíbles.  Gracias al choque cultural, la soledad forzada y los cambios de vida que me han obligado a descubrir recursos internos que no sospechaba que tenía en lo más hondo de mi ser, descubrí de qué soy hecha, qué es lo que realmente me hace feliz, y diferenciar estas cosas de lo otro --las quimeras, los cuentos de hadas de mi engañada juventud.

Bueno, es tarde y me voy a dormir.  Buenas noches y como siempre, gracias por tu atención, por prestarme un oído.

It's late and I must hit the sack.  Goodnight and, as always, thank you for listening.

Image result for sleeping cat

No comments: